3 weeks ago Ilene and I travelled to Naples, UT (by Vernal) and I interviewed for a position as a planner. After I didn't hear a word from them for several days, I gave up on any chance of actually getting the position.
But then, earlier this week, I got an email from the city manager of Naples, asking me for my references so they could 'complete the next phase' of the process. One of my references has been out of town at a conference, so I doubt they've actually talked to him, but one of my references was Ben, and he told me they called and talked to him. So who knows but that I might have a job offer here in the next few days.
I'll admit, though, that I'm torn about accepting the position if the offer is extended. On the one hand, it would be great to finally get my foot in the door with a city. It would be great to have a decent paying job. On the other hand, I wonder if I would be able to finish my thesis while working full time, and if I don't, then I've wasted the past 2 years working on a Master's degree I'll never get.
In addition to that concern, BYU has offered me a summer position as an instructor for a geography class. The offer comes with a $500 raise over last summer because they "liked the way [I] taught the class last summer." Basically, this guarantees me a decent income for the summer, plus gives me two months that I can completely dedicate to the thesis and an additional 2 months wherein a significant amount of time could be spent on the thesis. This would all but ensure that I can finish and receive my degree. And there will always be more jobs.
There are a lot more pros and cons on both sides of this argument, and so far I'm of two minds about it. One thing is sure, I'm making it a matter of prayer, and that will be redoubled if I actually get an offer. In some ways it would be nice to not get the offer because it would make the decision so much easier! But then, an offer, accepted or denied, would be a big confidence-booster!
No comments:
Post a Comment