For the past five days I’ve gotten to do something that I’ve
always wanted to do, but wasn’t sure I would ever actually get to do: visit
Washington D.C. There are so many things I was able to see, so many places I
was fortunate enough to visit. I’m writing this on the flight home, and it
honestly wouldn’t surprise me if it took the entire flight back to write about
it.
Since it’s logical to do so, I’m going to chronicle the trip
chronologically.
Monday
I got up early to ensure that I would make my flight with
time to spare. When I travel I like to use public transit to get to the airport
because it makes things so simple. Okay, that’s not the only time that I prefer
to use public transit, but it certainly is A time that I like to use it. So
Ilene dropped me off at the FrontRunner Station, where I took the train to
North Temple Station and then connected with the Green Line light rail to the
airport. There I checked in for my flight to Baltimore, MD.
Things went pretty smoothly. The flight even ran a little
bit more quickly than scheduled and we touched down at BWI several minutes
early. There was a group of coworkers headed to the D.C. conference, and I ran
into some of them on the way. After Bob grabbed his bag from the baggage claim,
we headed down the terminal to where the MARC has its pickup point. We stepped
out of the terminal door just as the bus pulled up to the stop. We boarded the
bus to the MARC station, and arrived with just enough time to purchase a ticket
and get up and over the track and onto a MARC train into D.C. Honestly, the
timing couldn’t have possibly been better. I wish all public transit could be
as well-timed and efficient as it was for us on Monday! (Alas, we live in the
real world!)
The ride into D.C.’s Union Station was uneventful, and it
was nice to look around at all the green of the east coast’s countryside.
Outside of Atlanta, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a greener place than the rail
corridor in Maryland.
At Union Station, we caught a cab to the hotel (all of 6
blocks or so from the station).
After checking into the hotel, I dropped my stuff in the
room, and was back out the door within 15 minutes. I knew I wouldn’t have much
leisure time on this trip, and I wanted to waste as little of it as I
realistically could.
I walked south to the National Mall, and then headed east to
my first destination of priority: the Library of Congress. I always like to
visit the remarkable libraries in the areas where I travel, and the Library of
Congress was high on my list of must-see destinations. On the way I passed by
many of the famed national landmarks that border the National Mall. I took a
few photos as I passed, but didn’t really visit any of them.

When I arrived at the library, I walked around it, looking
for the public entrance and shooting a few photos. Locating the door, I
entered, only to find out that it wasn’t really the Library of Congress. Or,
rather, it was the wrong library. It was the research annex, and wasn’t the one
to which you’re supposed to go. I also found out that the “real” one was closed,
because apparently 4:30 is quitting time. We hadn’t even arrived in D.C.
until 6:30. Oh well.
Tuesday
The next day my conference started, and I wasn’t done with
everything until after 9:00 p.m. I had a little time in the afternoon, but jet
lag got me and I didn’t really get to go anywhere.
The conference was over at 5:00, which precluded a trip to
the Library of Congress, so I took another walking tour down to the National
Mall, this time via Pennsylvania Avenue and the White House.
A couple of things about the White House.
First of all, I wanted to go to the White House and protest,
as is my Constitutional Right. I had a great plan. I was going to hold up a
protest sign about one of those issues I’m really passionate about, like “Less
Government Transparency!” or “Increase the National Debt!” or “Make Congress
Less Accountable!” But, I couldn’t find a piece of cardboard to write on
anywhere, so I had to forego my protestations. I took photos of the protesters
that were on-site instead. They had signs about relatively unimportant issues
like not going to war and nuclear disarmament. Just silly if you ask me. Nobody
there was protesting any of the important issues like “Free Toupées for
Presidential Candidates!” (Does it make me a socialist if I advocate for that?).
Incidentally, while I was walking around all these days, I
put my brain, my cell phone, and my awesome orange headphones to good use and I
listened to books. This should really come as no surprise to anyone who has
ever met me. The book I was listening to whilst I photographed the White House
and the protestors was, by pure happenstance due to the alphabetical
arrangement of my current reading list, Don Quixote. I didn’t miss it. I caught
it. There was something very appropriate about standing between the government
and the protesters while reading the story of the Man from La Mancha who tilted
at windmills. That wasn’t my only coincidental (providential?) reading
experience of this trip, but more on that later.
The White House itself sits on a pretty large piece of
property (which I knew), and is fairly close to the north end of the lot and a
long way from the south end of the lot (which was perfectly obvious from the
satellite pictures). From the north end, you can get pretty close to the
building itself, close enough to see stuff and close enough to get good
pictures. Close enough, in fact, that one of the Secret Service guys said that
the President never uses any of the doors on the north side or walks along the
north side of the building because the SS (yes, that’s an intentional
abbreviation; I want to highlight the connection between the two forces; it’s
part of my protest) would have to shut down the road (more of a walkway,
really, though accessible by car for the Right People). That would ruin a whole
bunch of tourists’ vacations, so I kind of appreciated that. I guess that means the
President doesn’t mow the north lawn himself. More taxes for the rest of us to cover it.
Thanks, Obama!
The Secret Service, as portrayed in every movie I’ve ever
seen that included them, consists of a bunch of tough looking guys in suits
with earwigs in their ears, serious firearms under their shoulders, dark
glasses over their eyes, and hardened looks on their faces.
I saw about two dozen secret service guys. Not one of them looked like that. In fact, I didn’t see a
single person in a suit the entire time I was within shooting distance of the
White House (yeah, I used THAT word. First Amendment, baby. In case anyone
actually ever reads this, however, it wasn’t meant as a threat in any way. I
use the word only to point out that in the entire time I was close enough to
the WH to remotely potentially pose any kind of a threat to anyone, I didn’t
see any of THOSE Secret Service agents.)
But I did see several SS agents. I knew they were SS agents
because every single one of them had a big label emblazoned upon the front of his
or her flak jacket that read “SECRET SERVICE”. Yep. That’s right. The Secret
Service Agents’ identities are about as secret as whatever it is that Victoria
is supposedly trying to hide. Some of the agents were guarding fences, some
were on bikes, some were in police-style vehicles complete with light bars and
logos. And not one of them looked tough. They all looked pretty friendly. A few
even looked physically unimposing (though I suppose I’ll give them the benefit
of the doubt: they’re probably hiding the famed combat training under a
deceptively friendly, inviting demeanor.)
I will give them this: they all looked watchful.
And I’ll give them this: there are worse ways to treat
visitors.
I wonder if there were any “undercover” agents that were
wandering around looking like tourists. I wouldn’t be at all surprised.
There are buildings on both sides of the White House so that
you really can’t see it from the east or west, so I marched myself around to
the south side. There are trees and a big tent (don’t know if that’s typical or
short-term) that pretty much block it from view on the south side, at least at
ground level. I guess that’s how you protect a president from attack by
underorganized and resourceless wackadoos.
Arriving at the Lincoln Memorial was awe inspiring. I didn’t
think I would actually encounter much awe. But even with the myriad people
(lots and lots of teenagers. I didn’t realize this was
high-school-trip-to-D.C.-week. Or is it always that way?) ignoring the “Quiet
Respect, Please” signs, it was easy to get drawn into the solemnity of the site.
I’ve been an admirer of Lincoln, for various reasons I won’t go into (probably
not the same as other people), but I tend to remain fairly quiet about it
because I find the “respect” of people like Bill O’Reilly and Sean Hannity to
be not only obnoxious, but also disingenuous; I find the constant and whiny and
downright loud invocation of Lincoln’s and Reagan’s names rather disrespectful
while they simultaneously raise them on pedestals of demi-divinity.
Anyway, my visit to Lincoln was personally very moving.
My next stop was to the site of the Korean War Memorial,
which was also surprisingly small, but tasteful, and I’m glad I didn’t miss it
along the way.
I walked along the reflection pool, doing what you’re
supposed to do along the reflection pool (reflecting), until I came to the WWII
Memorial. I have been internally critical about the fact that it took so long
to build a WWII Memorial when we’ve so long had the Vietnam and Korean
memorials. Well, it may have taken longer than it should have, but it was done
right. It is impressive. It is tasteful, yet grand. The architecture is
brilliantly done. Its elements are genius. Its scope compared to the Vietnam
and Korean memorials, is exactly what it should be. Its geographic placement is
monumental (see, what I did there, was…). I didn’t spend a lot of time there,
with daylight burning, but I was very impressed. One thing we haven’t forgotten
how to do, as a country, is to make a suitably symbolic monument. Washington,
well-established member of the masonic order (see, what I did there was…), would
be pleased.
From thence, it was on to the Washington Monument itself. It sits on a little hill that is well worth the climb. One of the great things about the WM is that you can walk right up to in and touch it. I hear you can also go inside, but it was closed when I got there, and honestly, climbing the steps wouldn’t have been all that appealing to me, anyway.
Side note: both the park surrounding the Washington Monument
and the park betwixt the White House and the National Mall feature sports
fields. Soccer pitches and baseball diamonds and running trails and all sorts
of good things. At first I thought it a bit strange, due to the solemnity
usually afforded these landmarks, but as I walked between them it occurred to
me that there is something quite appropriate about the accommodation these
places make for commoners and communities. I’m surprised that something so
sensical (as opposed to nonsensical) actually made it past the committees which
must surely have been involved in the decision making.
Wednesday night was my favorite night. The experience of
visiting the sites was almost spiritual, filling me with a reverence for the
locales that I honestly hadn’t expected. I went in expecting “cool” but walked
away with something profound.
Thus endeth Wednesday.
Thursday
The conference on Thursday was long, lasting until about
7:30 p.m. The weather had turned cool and wet throughout the day. But I knew my
time in D.C. was drawing to a close, and there were still things I wanted to
do. It was too late to get into anything, but there were still places that
don’t have closing times. So in a t-shirt and jeans, off I went again. I should
have taken a ball cap. Or an umbrella. Or purchased a jacket. Or all of the
above. But I didn’t. And honestly, I’m glad I did it the way I did it.
When I left the hotel it was misty. There was water in the
air, and it was cool, but it wasn’t unpleasant. I headed past the Washington
Monument that night to the Jefferson Memorial. I had missed it on Wednesday,
and I decided to not miss it. I wasn’t all that interested in it, but I thought
it would be silly to miss just the one. I was wrong. I’ve never seen photos of
the inside of Jefferson’s spot, only of the outside. I don’t know why the
inside isn’t as celebrated as Lincoln’s, because it should be!
Again, I left the monument with a sense of the sublime.
One thing I did right on this trip was to purchase extra
cell phone batteries prior to leaving. That gave me a lot of ambulatory freedom
relative to what I had in Chicago. It wasn’t too late (about 8:30) when I
finished at Jefferson’s home, so I pulled out my cell phone and looked at the
map (incidentally, I’m reading a remarkable book on GPS right now, but more on
that later), and realized that I was rather near George Mason Memorial Bridge.
Now, I know nothing about George Mason, really, other than that there’s a
University with his name attached. What is significant about George Mason
Memorial Bridge, to me, is that on the
other side of it is Virginia.
Side note: I had wanted to go to Arlington Cemetery, which
is also in Virginia, as well as George Washington’s Masonic lodge (gee, you’d
think I had a thing for the Masons, but I don’t!), which is also in Virginia,
but with the little free time I had, those two had to be sacrificed. So was the
National Cathedral. And the National Geographic Society’s Museum (doh!), and a
hundred other things that I wanted to see but for which there wasn’t sufficient
time.
But I figured I had time to walk across a bridge into
Virginia. Just as I was leaving Jefferson, the mist turned to light rain. About
100 steps after that it turned to moderate rain. And about 100 steps after that
it was cold and hard rain. But I had already pulled out my phone and looked at
google maps. I had already set my course south. I was going to Virginia if it
killed me. Okay, I knew it wasn’t going to kill me. I was going to Virginia if
it drenched me.
It did.
I’m glad I had a belt on because by the time I got across
the bridge to VA, my pants had gained 10 pounds of water weight (no, actually,
I’m not exaggerating), and it was getting rather difficult to walk. I enjoyed
every second of it. I even liked the cold rain. It was somewhat odd for me. I
get to check off another State. I only visited about 50 feet of it. It still
counts. Then I turned around and headed back.
I passed by Jefferson, again, and then straight north up 15th
Street in the general direction of my hotel. Well, since it was right there, I
decided to detour a half block and visit the White House again (the only place
I actually went twice. By this time it was about 10:00, and it was dark, and I
got some good night-time photos of the White House. And I got a guy
on the street (much less crowded at 10:00 than 7:00) to take a couple of
snapshots of me in front of the presidential mansion, so that was cool.
Then back to the hotel. I arrived looking somewhat like a
drowned rat and creating puddles with each step. It took me an hour to get
warm. Totally worth it.
Friday
The conference was over, my flight just hours away, and I
still hadn’t managed to visit inside two of my top two destinations, the Library
of Congress and the Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian. When I got to my
hotel on Thursday, I looked up the hours of both and formulated a plan. I’m
pleased to announce that the plan succeeded.
The Library of Congress closes early, but it also opens
decently early. It was also, fortuitously, the further of the two spots from my
hotel. So, I got up early enough to walk to the Library site in time for its
opening. Actually, I erred on the side of early and got there about 45 minutes
early.
The Library of Congress, appropriately, sits eastwardly
across the street from the capitol building. After snapping a few photos, I
proceeded up the steps to near the entrance of the library and sat gazing upon
the Capitol building.
However, I believe that there’s more to it. It occurs to me
that perhaps, in using the Neo-Classical architecture, the designers and
builders were trying to create a sense of grandeur and awe in those elected
officials who would enter into the halls of congress, into the president’s
office and home, and in the jurists who would wield ultimate judgement over the
citizens of this nation. I wonder if they weren’t trying to instill in these
leaders a sense of the solemn responsibility, the sacred trust, the incredibly
dangerous influence they would hold. I wonder if they weren’t attempting to
remind them that they were there to serve a noble purpose.
Alas, I fear that the sense of awe has faded. Perhaps it’s
human nature to become accustomed to the familiar. Perhaps it’s that the
marvels of the modern age—the vessels that take flight; the speeds of modern
transportation; the spatial vastness of modern edifices and the ease of their
construction—perhaps the incredible capacities and comforts of new technologies
have diminished the effect of archaic architecture. Perhaps it’s that unpaid
representatives have become salaried plutocrats who can be legally bribed and
indefinitely tenured. Perhaps it’s all of these things, and perhaps it is more.
I fear that the sense of awe has been replaced with a sense
of entitlement. A sense that the elected official is deserving of all their
comforts. A sense that they are born destined to enjoy the fatted calf, while
the unwashed are fated to support the establishment of their power and the
execution of their royal wills.
I fear that instead of inspiring awe, the grand has become
grandiose, inspiring a sense of privilege.
Anyway.
After contemplating the capitol building for a while, I read
for a few minutes from books I had with me. I thought that was pretty
appropriate for a library trip. Because without the books, the library is just
a pretty empty building.
Due to my early arrival, I got to be the first visitor to
enter the Library of Congress, which was pretty awesome. Within a quarter hour
throngs of noisy people arrived. But for the first several minutes, I got to
wander the great hall alone. I got to experience my number one D.C. destination
in near silence. I got to take photos of its walls and ceilings and arches and
stairs without anyone ruining the shots. It was awesome.
It also was nothing like what I expected. The
publicly-accessible areas of the library have no books (except for the gift
shop). There is an overlook into the congressional reading room, and you can
see the stacks behind the desks, but there’s no way to access the books
directly. That was somewhat disappointing, though I can probably understand the
reason. If I try really hard.
In the gift shop, I encountered a book that I just couldn’t pass up. It is a paper book. About electronic technology. Used for making maps. That aren't ever printed. That you pay for. In a library.
How many contradictions can you fit into one experience?
Also, I want to note, while in the Library of Congress I sat
and read from three books in three formats. Paper, electronic, and audio. Cuz
I’m kool lik dat. Nope. Because I’m cool like that.
Side note: the men’s room at the Library of Congress is the
fanciest place I’ve ever engaged in restroom business. (Can’t quite bring
myself to say the “p” word, it was so darn fancy. I took a picture. When no one
else was in there.) It even had one of those fancy rest areas with comfortable
seating like I hear ladies’ rooms have basically everywhere (which is really
fancy for a men’s room). Also, the stall walls were made of marble.
After I left the library (at 9:45, with the perfect amount
of time to make it to prime destination number two before its opening at
10:00), I walked straight down the hill and into the Air and Space Museum of
the Smithsonian. That’s right, one of the absolutely most awesome sites in the
entire world lays along the National Mall in Washington D.C., and I haven’t
even mentioned the Smithsonian, yet.
I only got to go to one of the branches of the amazing
institute, but I picked the best one (at least, it’s the best one in my
experience. My experience, of course, being this one). I passed by so many that
I wanted to visit. I only had time for the one. And it was amazing.
When I walked into the Air and Space Museum, I was just
coming to the conclusion, I kid you not, of a book that I had started reading
on my first day in D.C., Mission to Mars
by Buzz Aldrin. I finished reading that incredible book about the potential
future of space exploration while standing in front of the replica of the Lunar
Lander, the craft in which the author of the book made the first landing on the
moon.
Coincidental? Providential? Serendipitous? The experience
was beyond my capacity to fit into things made out of letters. Even ones with
lots and lots of letters.
Side Note: In one of my favorite passages of the book, Buzz
relates that though Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon, he, Buzz
Aldrin, was the first alien from another planet to board a space ship to Earth.
He’s probably told that joke a million times, but it was the first I’d heard
it, and I appreciated it.
The exhibits at the Air and Space museum are inspiring. They
chronicle flight from the Wright Brothers to satellites, from space vehicles to
the uses of sextants and cesium clocks. It celebrates engineering and courage.
It recognizes work and sacrifice, courage and innovation.
Did I say that Wednesday night was my favorite? Well it was.
Except for Friday morning. Which was better. Except for the fact that Wednesday
night was the best.
Forget Disneyland. Its thrills are cheap and its cover price
high, while the wonder and inspiration of imagination, and the purpose and nobility
of self-government have an gate fee of $0.
So now, I’ve walked to my hotel to collect my baggage; I’ve
hailed a taxi and boarded a train; I’ve set over the wing of a plane and
slip-streamed home to the Mountain West. And, as predicted, it has taken nearly
the entire trip home to inadequately chronicle my Washington experience.
But – and I think you’ll agree with me on this point – at least
it’s done.








1 comment:
It took me 8 months to read this post, but I finally got to it! I loved visiting Washington D.C. over a decade ago. It was absolutely awe-inspiring and there was far too much to see for my single day in the city. I saw a few of the same places you saw -- the Capitol Building, Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam and Korean War Memorials and the White House. I regret not getting to see the Smithsonian, Arlington Cemetary and the one I wanted to see the most that closed far too early -- the Holocaust Museum. I did get to see the Botanical Gardens, though I think I could have done without them (they are a lot like others around the country), and watched a guard change at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which was both heart-wrenching and enough to make me burst with pride. Thank you for recording your experiences! It took me down memory lane to what seems like a lifetime ago. I wish that there had been a WWII Memorial when I had visited. You're right -- it took far too long for them to construct it.
Post a Comment